Tuesday, February 24, 2015

You´re hot then you´re cold

This week went from seeing our breath in the house to me now being sunburnt and sweating tons when walking. LOVE THAT XALAPA WEATHER!!!

There is an hermana in the ward - T - who is always so good to us. She offers us everything she has, and it was the birthday of her daughter this week. Well they do not have a ton of money, so we got together with the elders and bought a cake and balloons and went to surprise them!!!! She was pumped. F - her daughter - does not like the mordida. The mordida is tradition, the person whose birthday it is needs to bite the cake a little. But everyone always ends up shoving their head in the cake hahahahah and well that is what the elders did with F. She freaked out, wiped the frosting off her face and then slapped the elder nearest to her with her frosting hands. Poor girl, but we died laughing hahahahaha, she was ok though.

We got to go to a Brazilian restaurant one day this week for the comida. WOW. I forgot what going to restaurants was like.

Who made the way to hold the fork or pencil or any of those things? Everyone has been calling me out on it lately, saying that I eat weird and write weird. Well if it works, then what more could I ask for hahaha.

We were doing companionship prayer one morning, I was saying it. We pray in English to try to help Hna J with her English. I realized....that I wasn´t talking and I couldn´t really breathe because my face was smooshed into my pillow. I was so confused, but realized I had fallen asleep during the prayer. I finished the prayer quickly to try to avoid embarassment and Hna J noticing what had happened hahaha but she noticed. She told me I finished the prayer in Spanish. Just one of those days.

I only have 2 chapters left in Jesus the Christ, and it has been an amazing book!!!! I am currently reading about the restoration and about Joseph Smith. I am so grateful for my testimony of him and all that he did for us. He sacrificed everything!!! We wouldn't not be here if it was not for him. It is hard to explain the feelings that I have, but I know if people ask with the same kind of faith that Joseph Smith had - to know if things are true - they will know what they need to do! Just like Joseph Smith. Heavenly Father does not love him more than He loves us, and He will answer us just as willingly and freely if we ask with a sincere heart and true intention. The only problem is though, how do I help people understand that for themselves? That they just need a little faith, and God will answer them and guide them to the things that they need to do. I know this with my whole heart. My job is to help others realize it also.

M - she is so pregnant she is about to pop. We went to see her this week and told her that if she did not go to church we could not keep visiting her, because there are other people who want to go, and we need to visit them too. She was totally ready to go, and wants to go, but is just SO SO SO pregnant. And she can barely walk still because of all the surgery she had. Turns out with the accident, she actually got shot in both legs, but one bullet only went through the muscle in one leg, and in the other, it went through her bone. She still has the bullet in her leg too, and has a pole IN her bone. I thought it was just attached to the outside, but nope, it is pounded in through the middle of it. POOR GIRL. I JUST LOVE HER SO MUCH! She has suffered more than anyone needs to suffer, ever!!! We really apply the Atonement to her, letting her know that Christ understands everything that she is going through and that He loves her too. She is so bright, is reading the Book of Mormon, and all the pamphlets we give her. We taught her the Word of Wisdom, and told us she would stop drinking coffee little by little. In the beginning of the week ,she was drinking it morning, afternoon and night, and now she is down to one cup in the morning!!!! YAY!!!!! She is so amazing. I cannot describe how great she is. We are just gonna have to wait until after she has her baby to go to church with her. We helped her mom make tortillas too. That is her mom´s job. She makes tortillas by hand all day, and only gets 100 pesos for working from 7AM to 7PM. That is less that $10 for the whole day. Their situation is so desperate, but they have so much faith. Meeting people like them in the mission is basically what makes it all worth it.

D and M - Well D officially does not want our help anymore. We always ask people if we can help, and they always say no, but we know they want it. So we always find something to help them in. She really actually didn´t want help though, and began to attack me by tickling me to get me to lower the broom that I was holding out of her reach hahahah and she also hid all the dishes in the sink so my companion could not wash them. She hid the brooms, I found them, started sweeping again, tickle attacked me, and finally threw the brooms over the balcony so I couldn´t sweep. It was a little dramatic hahahah but we were just trying to help!!!! Bad news though....they found some anti-Mormon stuff in the internet and are a little thrown off by it all....so we are working through that. We also taught the Word of Wisdom to M, he has problems with smoking and drinking. But, we set goals with him, and he told us he is just going to drink a glass of water if he is tempted to smoke or drink......well if it works that is great!!!! He is reading the Book of Mormon also, and says it is always good to learn more.....I kind of hate that phrase. It is like saying all the churches lead back to God. Eh. But we are working a lot with them both!!!! 

Love, Hermana Westergard


making tortillas by hand





F´s birthday

so many colors of beans!!

sunrise on Sunday


No comments:

Post a Comment